Wednesday 21 January 2015

Red Velvet and Chocolate Cakes -- An experiment



I've had some wonderful red velvet cakes in my life.  They seem luxurious and indulgent and beautiful--there's something special about them.  Then I wonder, why?  What flavour are they actually?  I decided to do some research and experimenting because I had to know.  I've learned so much about baking and techniques in the past year, and yet I hadn't properly tackled the red velvet. 

Just look at that beautiful bright red color!  Completely natural and from beetroot :) 

I found a perfect video on youtube.  Her website is called Dulce Delight.  She has so many yummy recipes, an adorable accent, and a retro kitchen and tools.  I watched almost all  her videos.  ANYWAY, back to the cake.  Most red velvet cakes you'll find today are just chocolate cakes with about a bottle of red food coloring... yuck.  I didn't know that.  And it didn't sit well with me.  I use food coloring sparingly and only when I have to, like for the rainbow cake or if someone asks for it specifically.  I love when I can get natural colors from fruits or vegetables.  

I found those pretty red sugar roses at the shop :)  Thought they matched perfectly!


Beets are the secrets to a beautiful, deep, rich red velvet cake.  Something magical happens when you have the beet juice, lemon, and vinegar and mix them all up.  I was skeptical because here in Australia beetroot is quite popular on burgers and in salads and lots of things, and I've tried it-- I wasn't a fan, it kind of just tasted like dirt to me?  But, I think beetroot has gained a special place in my heart after making this cake.  I couldn't be happier :)  (Well, maybe I could be, I have to make another cake or some cupcakes for more happy!:)  If you're curious about the taste, it tastes a little bit like a citrusy (tiny bit) chocolate cake.  Pretty unique and delicious!


I also played around with making chocolate mousse for the first time.  Oh my goodness, it blew any sort of chocolate mousse I'd had before out of the water.  I also got this recipe from Dulce Delight.  I'm very happy I found her!

These pictures are of the other cake I made.  Another small red velvet and chocolate cake covered in whipped cream.  It was really yummy too!


I really love pictures of pretty fluffy frosting :D



That was a lot of fun.  What next should I try to make?! :D


1 comment:

  1. another success ! mouth watering...... actually I have learned something today Beet Juice? this cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete