Thursday 6 November 2014

Mulberry Cupcakes with Mulberry Cream Cheese Frosting!

Mulberry Cupcakes with Mulberry Cream Cheese Frosting!


Isn't that a BEAUTIFUL use of ripe, freshly picked, mulberries?



I just couldn't resist :P

These cupcakes are very special to me :)  My girls and I are always taking walks together, to the library, the shops, or to the park just down our little street.  This time of year, in Sydney, everything is in bloom--we see everyone's gardens and every year I get a little bit jealous I haven't got a green thumb >.<  Not that we don't try, this year we are trying to grow watermelon, zucchini, coriander, mint, rosemary, and some pretty flowers.  They're all seedlings still but we have high hopes!  But, even if I'm not successful, the least we can do is take advantage of the lovely produce available and teach my girls the value in all growing things, small or big, to eat or just to look at :)

Now where was I... Oh yes, the walks!  We walked to the park this morning and a lady was there with her daughter picking mulberries.  I knew the tree was there because my sister and I picked the berries a couple of years ago together (what a great time we had too!).  I didn't have anything to carry many home with us, but the girls insisted on picking the ripe ones and bringing each and every one to me as I sat reading.  I quickly realized they had the right idea, and fashioned a paper basket of sorts out of the receipts in my bag and we carried home about 4 handfuls!  The girls were so happy and excited, suggesting so many things I could make with them.  

I came across a beautiful cupcake recipe here.  I changed it a bit, made them more berry-y and omitted the matcha (even though I LOVE matcha, I just didn't want to use the little bit I have on frosting, I'm stingy! :)  I imagine any berry would work, I am already thinking of trying strawberry and blueberry.  Sadly, I just can't get the mulberries all year round.

The girls lined my cupcake pan and waited patiently to be my little taste testers.  I think they passed with flying colours, they're already telling me we NEED to go get more mulberries.  Clever little girls!



No comments:

Post a Comment